Takeoff’s mother has filed a wrongful death lawsuit against the owners of the Houston bowling alley where the rapper was fatally shot back in November 2022.
Titania Davenport filed the suit on Wednesday in a Texas district court, according to court documents obtained by Rolling Stone. The defendants are the property owners of Houston’s 810 Billiards & Bowling.
Takeoff’s Mother Accuses Venue Owners Of Failing To Provide Proper Security
Davenport says the venue failed to provide adequate security on the night of Takeoff’s death on Halloween last year.
The lawsuit details that “the facility and premises were rented by well-known music personality” Rap-A-Lot CEO J. Prince. The venue was used for a party “‘after hours’ and with… many artists… athletes, and public figures.”
“Despite these facts, Defendants provided no screening mechanisms, no after-hour controls or security measures, and no enforcement of rules or industry standards to deter crime against their invitees, to include [Takeoff],” the lawsuit reads.
Lawsuit Claims Venue Owners Should Have Known About Security Risks Beforehand
Additionally, Davenport’s suit accuses venue owners of being criminally negligent in ignoring social media postings that “made it clear” they would require advanced security and planning.
“In fact, social media posting in advance of the party made it clear that not only basic security measures needed to be followed, but advance planning and consideration should have been taken into account, which defendants were negligent in failing to do.”
The lawsuit says that the venue owners should have known beforehand that a “significant number of violent crimes” were committed on the premises.
Furthermore, Davenport argues they knew that celebs would be in attendance “based on the nature of the party.” That alone would have warranted “proper security” to be put in place.
“Specifically, Defendants knew that based on the nature of the party, celebrities would more likely than not be in attendance and potentially be the targets of crime. Defendants negligently represented proper security would be in place, when in fact none was; this caused many people to come to the event without concern.”
new: Takeoff’s mother filed a lawsuit in Texas yesterday against the owners of the venue where the rapper was shot & killed last year
claims they were negligent in not providing proper security for a private event (“rented by a well-known music personality”) that included celebs pic.twitter.com/DBebWqBuaq
— Joe Coscarelli (@joecoscarelli) June 8, 2023
Wrongful Death Suit Cites 18 Instances Of Alleged Negligence
The lawsuit cites 18 specific instances of reported negligence that could have prevented the Migos rapper’s death.
Those include: “negligently failing to provide adequate and appropriate security personnel;” “negligently failing to properly inspect and maintain the premises;” “negligently failing to warn invitees of known hazards at the property;” as well as “Negligently failing to properly retain, hire, train, and supervise their employees.”
Titania Davenport, #Takeoff’s mother, filed a suit Wednesday in Texas against the owners of Houston’s #810Billiards & Bowling, alleging they failed to provide proper security on the night of Take’s death. She pinpoints 18 instances of negligence that could have prevented it 🕊️🙏 pic.twitter.com/2hzHpaKXsu
— HipHopLivesNATL (@HipHopLivesNATL) June 9, 2023
Additionally, the outlet reports that Davenport seeks “compensatory, special, economic, consequential, general, punitive, and all other damages permissible under Texas law.”
Her wrongful death lawsuit specifically cites pain and suffering, mental anguish, and loss of earning capacity.
Meanwhile, Patrick Clark was indicted on murder charges for allegedly killing Takeoff, The Shade Room reported last month.
However, Davenport’s lawsuit does not name Clark in the wrongful death case.